Ivan Toney Hit by the FA With Another Round of Illegal Betting Charges

  • Toney was previously charged with 232 counts of gambling crimes
  • The newest charges detail offenses from March 2017-February 2019
  • The FA has heavily punished players for similar infractions in the past
  • It is unknown if Toney will be on the field for Brentford once the season resumes 
Ivan Toney
Ivan Toney was charged with another 30 counts of violating FA gambling bylaws. [Image: Shutterstock.com]

Ivan Toney guilty of more betting crimes

The English Football Association (FA) has levied another 30 charges against Brentford and England striker Ivan Toney for breaching betting regulations.

offenses allegedly occurred between March 2017-February 2019

Toney was charged in early November with 232 infractions of FA Rule E8 from February 2017-January 2021. The recently-revealed offenses allegedly occurred between March 2017-February 2019, while Toney was playing in the EFL Championship, League One, and National League.

Toney is yet to respond to the charges. He previously said that he was cooperating in full with the FA’s investigation and now has until January 4 to submit a formal response.

Insult to injury

FA Rule E8, which Toney was accused of violating, stipulates the following.

“A Participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on… the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition OR;

any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters.”

Brentford FC, Toney’s current club, released a statement acknowledging the charges against their star striker at lunchtime Tuesday, UK time.

pursuing retroactive punishment

The cease in betting infractions coincides with Toney’s and Brentford’s elevations to the English Premier League (EPL), the top flight in English soccer and widely recognized best league in the world. However, the FA governs the EPL and all EFL leagues and is pursuing retroactive punishment.

Toney was reportedly “devastated” by the investigations and first round of charges. The recent add-ons are another blow to the 26-year-old, who was finally gaining recognition as one of the best at his position. His ten goals in 14 matches ranks third in the EPL behind only Manchester City’s Erling Haaland and Tottenham’s Harry Kane and are the most amongst non-big-six clubs.

What’s in store?

Toney faces a perilous future as the FA deliberates a fitting punishment for his crimes. He already missed out on representing England in the World Cup, though manager Gareth Southgate maintains that the decision to exclude him from the squad was not tied to the FA’s investigation.

It is unknown what punishment would await Toney if he is convicted. There are several instances of similar infractions, which have resulted in a variety of penalties.

Newcastle fullback Kieran Trippier, for example, was found guilty of providing information on an imminent transfer to Atletico Madrid to friends of his, who then placed bets on the transfer going through. Trippier was ultimately fined £70,000 ($84,778) and banned from all soccer-related activities for ten weeks.

Ex-Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge was also charged for providing similar information on an upcoming transfer and earned himself a £150,000 ($181,621) fine.

Brentford said in its statement that it is discussing a path forward with Toney and his legal team and will not provide further comments on the situation.

remains to be seen to what extent Toney will be involved with the team

Brentford has not played in an FA-sanctioned match since the initial charges were handed out in the week leading up to the World Cup. It remains to be seen to what extent Toney will be involved with the team once league matches resume.