The Football Association (FA) has charged 26-year-old Brentford striker Ivan Toney with numerous violations of bylaws related to gambling.
breached FA Rule E8 232 times between 25 February 2017 and 23 January 2021”
“It is alleged that the Brentford FC forward breached FA Rule E8 232 times between 25 February 2017 and 23 January 2021,” the FA said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon.
Toney previously poured cold water on the allegations when the FA went public with its investigation. He now has until Thursday, November 24 to respond.
Ivan Toney charged by FA
Rule E8 says that “A Participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on… the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition OR;
any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters.”
one of the best number-nines in the Premier League
Toney has had a meteoric rise through English soccer over the past few years, starting in lower leagues and eventually earning the reputation as one of the best number-nines in the Premier League.
Toney made appearances for Scunthorpe United, Wigan Athletic, Peterborough United, and Brentford during the period provided by the FA. Although he did not appear in any Premier League matches, all of the leagues he participated in fell under the regulation of the FA.
The news comes six days after England manager Gareth Southgate unveiled his 26-man squad for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar. Toney was omitted from the list along with AS Roma striker Tammy Abraham, leaving Harry Kane and the late-blooming Callum Wilson as the only true center-forwards on the roster.
Brentford released a statement in response to the news.
“Brentford FC has been informed that Ivan Toney has been charged with breaches of FA Rule E8,” said the club. “The Club has been in discussion with Ivan and his legal representatives about this matter and those conversations will continue privately.”
Timing and punishment
Toney was said to be “devastated” by the investigation into his gambling background.
Brentford previously released a statement saying that it was aware of a “story concerning Ivan Toney and the FA investigation” and would not provide commentary. That announcement, now two-and-a-half weeks old, came after the investigation had reportedly been going on for seven months.
The news breaks at a terrible time for the Englishman, who had been enjoying the best start to a Premier League season in his career. The tall, powerful attacker scored ten goals in 14 matches, including a brace and 90’+8’ winner against champions Manchester City. Brentford went into the World Cup break 10th in the league table.
can face “financial penalties, suspensions, and in some instances, lifetime bans”
It remains to be seen what punishment is on the horizon for Toney if he is found guilty of the charges. The FA’s website warns that convicted offenders can face “financial penalties, suspensions, and in some instances, lifetime bans.”
Current Three Lions and Newcastle fullback Kieran Trippier was hit with a ten-week ban and a £70,000 ($83,217) fine for hinting in 2019 to his friends that he was being transferred to another club, which they then placed wagers on. Former Liverpool and Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge was banned by the FA for four months for sharing information about a potential 2018 transfer.
Details still need to come out, but the FA has shown that it will not hesitate to implement player bans. If Toney is to face a similar fate, it could have catastrophic effects on his career and a team that had exceeded expectations up to this point.