1xBet Responds to Sunday Times Investigation with Official Statement

  • Operator has denied allegations of "pornhub casino" and offering betting on U19 events
  • Blames third-party networks for advertising on prohibited sites without company's knowledge
  • Says it is "committed" to entering UK market again and cooperating with UKGC
metal lock placed on laptop keyboard
1xBet’s official statement comes after a Sunday Times investigation led their UK website to shut down. [Image: Shutterstock]

Internal investigation launched

1xBet has released an official statement in response to an investigation by The Sunday Times newspaper earlier in August, which found that the bookmaker’s UK arm was linked to other indecent websites. As a result, 1xBet’s UK site was forced to close.

In the statement, 1xBet informed that they have launched an internal investigation, and blamed the links on a third-party supplier who acted without their knowledge. 1xBet have said they are co-operating with the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC), and that their license application is currently on track.

1xBet “fully committed”

The Sunday Times report unearthed allegations of a “pornhub casino” involving topless croupiers and betting on children’s sports. After the story broke, the UKGC announced it was launching its own investigation into operations at the Russian-owned 1xBet.

The bookmaker’s UK site was operating under a deal with FSB Technology, who were also quick to distance themselves from the scandal.

The Sunday Times report unearthed allegations of a “pornhub casino” involving topless croupiers and betting on children’s sports.

A 1xBet spokesperson has since contacted VegasSlotsOnline with regard to the recent allegations made. The official statement issued by the company holds that:

“We have seen The Sunday Times article and are aware of the allegations. We are an established, international gaming company, which abides by all the relevant laws and regulations in every jurisdiction in which we operate. 

We are fully committed to creating an environment which protects people from irresponsible gambling and addiction. We take very seriously the allegation that 1xBet’s brand has been promoted on prohibited sites. This was done, from our understanding, through certain third party networks, and without our prior knowledge or consent. We have launched an immediate internal investigation to ensure we improve our monitoring in this regard. Further, we have retained the services of an additional team, including the UK’s leading specialist gaming and gambling consultants, to advise us on all matters relating to this market.

We are in touch with the Gambling Commission, with whom we are cooperating fully. We wish to reassure you that our application for a full UK operating license is on track and we are fully committed to the UK market.”

Players have since been assured that all deposits are secured. Sponsorship agreements with premiership football teams also still appear to be in place.

It is currently unknown when 1xBet will resume its UK operations. Sites in other regions still remain up and running.