Upping the ante
Authorities in the Philippines have requested an Interpol Red Notice for a high-profile businessman and “gambling magnate” allegedly linked to the disappearance of at least 34 people between 2021 and 2022.
Government offices including the Philippine Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) requested the alert against Charlie “Atong” Ang, 68, in mid-January.
despite ten search operations for Ang last week, the native Filipino remains at large
The Manila Bulletin cited DILG Secretary Juanito Victor Remulla as admitting on Tuesday that, despite ten search operations for Ang last week, the native Filipino remains at large.
Reports of the Interpol notice comes amid the Philippines’ escalating manhunt for Ang, the prime suspect in the disappearance of at least 34 cockfighting enthusiasts, known as “sabungeros,” linked to alleged game-fixing via illegal online cockfighting operations.
Net closing in
Despite Remulla stating that last week’s targeted raids based on intelligence reports failed to locate Ang, the Interpol Red Notice means law enforcement agencies worldwide have the fugitive on their radars and can provisionally arrest Ang pending extradition.
The DILG Secretary said Ang was armed and dangerous, with authorities recently doubling the ₱10m ($172,700) reward money for information leading to his whereabouts to ₱20m ($345,200). “We’re serious here,” Remulla told reporters recently.
kidnapping, serious illegal detention, and kidnapping with homicide”
Ang is on the run from several standing arrest warrants from multiple courts on charges that include “kidnapping, serious illegal detention, and kidnapping with homicide” related to the 34 missing sabungeros.
Despite rumors that Ang may have fled to Cambodia or elsewhere, Remulla confidently backed intelligence reports indicating he remains in the country.
High roller
Former President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte reportedly once boasted that Ang was the “number one gambler” in his hometown, and previously sought Ang’s “help to stop illegal gambling” in the country.
In 2000, meanwhile, amid the corruption scandal that prompted ex-President Joseph Estrada’s impeachment, Ang was implicated in having funneled gambling funds to Estrada.
While Ang remains in hiding, his 20 co-accused, including ex- and current police officers, are in custody. The manhunt for Ang goes on as authorities flag his capture as a top priority, complete with “dedicated hotlines, crowdsourced leads, and coordinated operations.”
